Community

Join the #1 online community of all-inclusive resort enthusiasts today, where you can connect with both experts and travelers alike and get answers to all of your all-inclusive questions quickly.
A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
What are Holidays like in Mexico?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
December 15, 2016
3:54 pm
Kim

What are the Holidays, specifically Christmas like at the all-inclusive resorts in Mexico? Do they do anything special. i.e. meals, entertainment.

December 16, 2016
12:14 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 71
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Kim,

Great question! Most Mexicans are Catholic, so the typical holiday décor - even at all-inclusive resorts - is very much in keeping with the traditional Christmas theme rather than something more agnostic or all-encompassing as many US locations do (in order to include themes for Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or other religious holidays at this time of year)......and most of the resorts do a beautiful job of decorating, with lighted, decorated 'Christmas" trees, lights on the palm trees, nativity scenes, and other decorations, and many will play typical Christmas music in common areas as well.

As for events, they'll generally offer a typical holiday 'buffet' style dinner on the holiday itself (Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day) with all the usual dishes and desserts - I was just at a resort (Excellence Riviera Cancun) over Thanksgiving and they did a beautiful job of hosting a Thanksgiving buffet dinner in the central plaza that was amazing - the plaza was gorgeously decorated and the food was incredible - better than my own cooking!

Most resorts will also have holiday-themed entertainment, both daytime (for families) and evening (for adults), and many will offer more craft-centric stuff in addition to the usual daytime activities, so that you can make a gift to take home.

If you plan to vacation at an all-inclusive over a holiday, you'll miss out on the winter weather and poor driving conditions, but you'll definitely get a full dose of festive spirit!

Trisha is the Editor-in-Chief at Travel Writers Exchange - The online community for travel writers, bloggers, and journalists.

Like fine wines and delectable cuisines, the experience of travel should be savored, shared, and remembered.
December 18, 2016
10:09 am
Kim

Thanks for sharing your current experience as well as your knowledge about Christmas at an all-inclusive in Mexico. I usually plan two trips a year; one at an all-inclusive in the Caribbean and one in Mexico. I have always wanted to spend Christmas where they really celebrate it. I plan to book early for the coming year. Thanks!

December 19, 2016
11:51 am
Selma

We are getting ready to leave for the holidays at our first experience at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico . Your comments have us excited about what to expect. We are also hoping to go off site for Midnight Mass. Perhaps we will be able to share more later.

December 20, 2016
1:31 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 71
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Selma,

I would love to hear about it if you do manage to go to an off-site midnight mass......the Mexican people really know how to celebrate holidays, with beautiful traditional costumes and music, often incorporating a parade to the church or chapel.  I've never been there over Christmas, but my guess is that it would be a truly lovely and memorable service.

Trisha is the Editor-in-Chief at Travel Writers Exchange - The online community for travel writers, bloggers, and journalists.

Like fine wines and delectable cuisines, the experience of travel should be savored, shared, and remembered.