Buddy, can you spare a $5?
Ancillary fees from better seating, checked bags and change/cancel fees account for a portion of airline revenues so it’s no surprise that checked bag fees are on the rise due to increased costs and to help improve the bottom line.
In addition to higher checked bag fees, JetBlue has also increased fees for traveling with pets, oversize bags, and change/cancel fees.
How to avoid additional fees:
- The airline’s loyalty program levels and the more expensive airfares may be exempt from checked bag fees.
- Consider the JetBlue ‘Plus’ credit card, which gets you a free first checked bag for you and up to 3 companions on the same reservation when you use your JetBlue Plus Card to purchase tickets
- Packing lighter is always a good idea.
- Some airfares may cost a little more than the ‘bare minimum’ fare, however, it may also include a checked bag.
- Be aware of fees for specific seats….it may still be worth it for a longer flight and comfort.
- Check for ‘bundles’ when purchasing your flights. Some airlines offer a higher fare that includes one checked bag and preferred seating.
Oh, yeah, you may want to bring a few extra $5 bills to help out a fellow traveler! Paying it forward has its perks.