It’s about time.
Island destinations have been trying to build their own Hotel and Local Tour booking engine since the wheel was invented.
I mean – who knows Barbados better than a Bajan?
Why is it cool for a country to create its own Vacation Booking website?
- Control of Cash Flow – when the pandemic hit major Tour Operators decided not to pay hotels. The hotels were pissed.
- Tech has improved dramatically – so building your own booking engine is not a tough as it used to be (we are looking at you Softrips).
- Local vendors can work directly with the booking website to showcase their products and services. Try calling Expedia and asking them to pimp your local tchotchkes.
- Cut out the middleman – hotels can quickly run short-term specials to stimulate bookings. (and benefit consumers)
What could possibly go wrong?
- Politics – who decides who will be on the HomePage above the fold?
- Hotel pricing inconsistency – every day becomes a Black Friday/Cyber Monday freakout.
- Quality Control – let’s hope Bembe’s bus starts today.
- Keeping the Department of Tourism behind the project – every election brings on a nepotistic schmoozefest.
Give www.BookBarbados.com a peek. Draw your own conclusions. It’s new – so give it a chance to grow.
Since I have your attention…..
DON’T do these things in Barbados: