Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a holiday in Mexico that celebrates the life and death of loved ones and is observed from October 31 – November 2. Altars, or ofrendas, are created to remember loved ones and serve as an invitation to welcome their spirits back during this time period.
In addition to the ofrendas, the resorts will also have staff dressed as Catrinas, calaveritas (little skulls) decorations throughout as well as activities for guests to experience the Mexican culture and history of the holiday.
How each Velas Resort will celebrate:
- Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit will host a Catrina Contest where the staff from different departments dress up like a Catrina before making a tour through the guest areas of the hotel. At the end, guests vote for the winner.
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya will create a special “Altar de Muertos” dedicated to Frida Khalo and her lover Diego Rivera with all of the things they liked when they were alive placed on the altar.
- Grand Velas Los Cabos will feature the Life and Dead Celebration, a journey through Mexican flavors and traditions. The five-course special menu at its gourmet Mexican restaurant, Frida, includes tamales, mole, candied pumpkin, and buñuelos (Mexican Fritters).
- Casa Velas in Puerto Vallarta will deliver traditional Pan de Muertos (Dead Bread i.e. Sweet Roll) on November 2nd as an added amenity in the suite and serve pan de muerto with traditional Mexican hot chocolate at its fine-dining Emiliano Restaurant.
- Velas Vallarta invites guests to decorate La Catrina masks as well as ceramic sugar skulls for the temporary altars placed at the resort. La Catrina and clay and ceramic Sugar Skull art from Jalisco, the state in which Velas Vallarta is located, and Michoacán, the preeminent place for handicrafts in the country, will be available for purchase.
- Velas Vallarta, Casa Velas and Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit will sponsor giant “Catrinas” along the Puerto Vallarta Malecon. The papier mache Catrinas, traditional in the state of Jalisco, are made by Students of Tourism and Hospitality Management at Centro Universitario de la Costa.
Thinking about going? This is a last minute offer where two kids ages 4-12 stay free (sharing suite or room with parents). For more info or to book click here: