We’ve pretty much all had that nightmare, haven’t we? You know the one……
…..where you find yourself at work, or maybe in school or at the mall, and you suddenly discover that (gasp!) you’re not wearing anything! Gah! And yet, here I am suggesting that you do just exactly that….and while you’re awake too!
If you’ve never been to a nudist resort or a clothing-optional resort (aka ‘au natural’ resort), it’s important to understand what they are as well as what they are not.
Nudist resorts ARE:
- Private – you won’t find clothed people staring, gawking, or taking photos. The resorts are secluded, private, and don’t allow in the looky-loos because none of the guests would be comfortable otherwise.
- Upscale – most are gorgeous resorts set on beautiful tropical beach locations, offer gourmet cuisine and world-class spas, along with a truly luxurious experience.
Nudist resorts are NOT:
- Seedy, scary, or ‘sex clubs’ – occasionally a swinger’s club (aka ‘lifestylers’) will schedule a group trip, but if you’re not interested in that just check with your travel agent to avoid those weeks. And yes, occasionally folks will get a bit frisky in public (hey the drinks are free and the sun is warm…who wouldn’t get in the mood?) and on a walk down the beach you might encounter a couple in the throes of having sex…..if that bothers you simply turn around and head back from whence you came, or ask your travel agent about a resort where that’s discouraged (some do).
- Full of people who look like supermodels – they may hire models for the photos on their website, but trust me on this, the other guests are all just very normal people of all ages with very normal bodies of all sizes and shapes.
“The most important thing to remember about going to a Nude Resort is that it’s NOT about looking, judging, or comparing – it’s about enjoying the freedom from the everyday barriers represented by clothing. It’s about enjoying nature in a very natural way.” Source: WickedGetaways.com.
Now that you have a better understanding of what Nudist Resorts are (and aren’t), read on for…..
Our Top 6 Reasons to Visit a Nudist Resort:#1: No tan lines – some folks may not care about this, but those pesky white stripes standing out from your otherwise gorgeously bronzed skin can ruin the look of certain tops, dresses, or gowns – if you’re going to spend time getting dolled up, a perfectly even skin tone is a terrific accessory. #2: It will boost your self image – it’s so easy to obsess over body flaws when we’re constantly bombarded with body-shaming images in the media…..but when you see so many normal body types and realize that a) other people are all just like you, and b) no one cares what you look like, suddenly your flaws become SO NOT important anymore…..and you learn to accept yourself just as you are. #3: You’ll rid yourself of inhibitions – remember when you were just a little tyke and your mom would let you run around a bit without your diaper? That amazing feeling of freedom? It’s like getting a shot of courage that stays with you long after you go home – you’ll think “jeez if I can spend a week naked in front of hundreds of other people, I can do anything!” #4: You’ll make friends – or at least meet a lot of friendly people. I’ve found that guests at nudist resorts are significantly friendlier than those at ‘clothed’ resorts. No one is judging you, and it’s really nice to feel accepted….it lets you actually get to know other people better when you (and they) aren’t so worried about perceptions and judgements. #5: It will improve your relationship – The emotional support you give to, and receive from, your partner while doing something that takes a good deal of courage creates an amazing bonding experience. Also, nothing adds ‘spice’ to your intimate moments like walking around feeling great about yourself, and um, yeah……being naked. It could just be the best vacation sex ever! #6: Waaay less luggage to take (makes packing a breeze!) – okay you’ll likely pack a few fun things for the ‘theme’ nights, or something dressy for dinner (some nudist resorts still have a dress code for restaurants, at least in the evenings), but for most of the time a sarong (for hitting the breakfast or lunch buffet), some sunscreen, and a pair of flip-flops is all you’ll need.
Bonus! Tips for a First-Time Nudist Resort Trip:
- More than a little nervous about baring it all? Try a ‘Clothing Optional‘ resort for your first time – many of them offer a combination of clothed and clothing-optional areas….this lets you go as bare as you are comfortable with, as they’ll have totally separate areas for being nude, and if it’s not your thing you can retreat to the ‘clothed’ areas. A great choice would be Couples Negril, Couples Sans Souci, or Couples Tower Isle.
- DO be aware that there is a different set of etiquette rules at a Nudist Resort – things like making sure wherever you sit you’re sitting on a towel (or wearing a sarong) – after all, would you want to sit where someone else’s bare ass has just been? And it’s considered quite rude to stay covered up while staring at others who aren’t. Likewise with taking photos – selfie’s are okay but be sure you’re not getting anyone else in your shot without asking. Basically anything that would make others uncomfortable is verboten.
- Keep your mind open and your attitude positive – after all, why not relax and give it a shot? The odds that you’ll encounter anyone you know are practically nil, and if you decide it’s not for you then don’t do it again……but you should give it a try, at least once!
- If a person or couple approaches you about ‘swinging’ but it’s not your thing, keep in mind that it’s a compliment — they asked because they found you attractive — and a polite ‘I’m/we’re flattered, but it’s not our thing‘ is all you need to say. No one’s feelings will be hurt, after all you’re not rejecting them, you’re just letting them know you’re not into that lifestyle.
- Ready to dive in? Try a full-on all-nude nudist resort like Desire Riviera Maya or Desire Pearl – see our list of Best All Inclusive Clothing Optional Resorts for more suggestions.