Abe Issa started Couples Resorts in Jamaica before the wheel was invented.
His first resort, Couples Tower Isle in Ocho Rios, was just the start of a dynasty that would expand to a total of 4 resorts in Jamaica.
When you are first in any industry – you take some arrows.
But you also get the best locations.
And as with anything, its Location, Location, Location.
Old Abe picked only the best locations.
- 2 of the Couples Resorts are in Ocho Rios and the other 2 are in Negril.
- All resorts are about 75 – 80 minutes from MoBay Airport due to new highways.
- Gone are the exciting days of dodging goats, blaring horns, and driving styles that require a pair of Depends.
- The new 4 lane highways are way better than the old 1.5 lane obstacle course (or 2 lanes if you count the grassy shoulders as part of the road).
What is the Couples Resorts vibe?
- Arriving at a Couples is like being transported back to the 1950’s
- They are old school architecture (all small by today’s standards – about 200 rooms)
- Romance – laid back relaxation – and more romance is the agenda for the day
- They only allow adult couples, so no waking up to screaming kiddies attacking a waterslide at 6:00a
- The staff is super friendly and within an hour they know more about you than your travel partner does
- The service is typically fast (maybe not fast for a New Yorker) but efficient and consistent
- Entertainment is a good book and a better drink
- Dress nicely for restaurants – but it’s not your Prom Date – so you don’t need to go overboard
- All resorts have King Beds only……so make sure your travel partner likes to snuggle
- You can golf at all of the resorts. The only cost is a Caddy Fee of $35
- Tipping – there is no tipping. Couples tries to be fair to all its staff. Part of what you pay goes to each staff member. The only exception is off-property tours and your transfer drivers
- Consider signing up for the Romance Reward Program. Its free and has lots of goodies.
Each one has its own personality. Here’s a great downloadable Couples Resorts Overview Fact Sheet
So let’s dig into which one would be right for you…You can watch our video or scroll down to keep reading.